Your CV is your main tool if you want to find a job. Its good preparation will help you to find a new position. Carelessness in this area can damage your chances, even if you are well suited to the job. How to prepare a model application? This article will help you.
What to include in your CV?
An example of a CV structure is:
1. Header and contact details.
2. Professional profile.
4. Education and qualifications
5. Additional sections (key skills, languages, interests, etc.).
Let’s take a closer look at the most important elements of the CV.
A professional profile, also known as a personal or competency profile, is a key aspect in your application. This section is a short paragraph, which can be found under your basic contact details. It gives the employer an initial insight into who you are.
Each profile should be tailored to the specific position you are applying for, and it should indicate the key skills that make you qualified for the position.
In your career summary, the following points will be addressed:
1. Who are you?
2. What can you offer the company?
3. What are your professional goals?
The summary itself should not be longer than a few sentences.
Present your experience in reverse chronological order, i.e., starting from your last job. It is the most important for the potential employer.
Present each item as follows:
• Name of the position.
• The period of employment.
• A short sentence to summarize the position.
Then present in a bullet points the key responsibilities, skills acquired and the most important achievements. Ideally, you should be able to support each professional success with numerical data, e.g., increasing sales in your department by 20% over a year.
What if you had a break from work?
If your career break lasted several months, you could present your periods of employment in an annual format – from 2011 to 2014. Then the break of several months will be „hidden” there.
However, if you have not worked for many years, it is a good idea to explain the reason for this briefly:
A career break in 2012-2014 due to the need for taking care of parents.
Education and qualifications
As in the case of professional experience, present the first recent education and training. If you have a university degree related to the position you are applying for, you can skip the high school listings.
Additional sections, although they have lesser importance, can also work to your advantage:
• Charity – if you participated in this type of activity, you can gain a lot in the eyes of the recruiter.
• Interests – write about interests related to the desired position. If the job is related to, for example, internet marketing, mention you have an internet blog.
• Foreign languages – the recruiter can test your knowledge of the languages you have included. If you had German in high school, but practically if you don’t remember anything, it is better to skip it.
Additional advice and summary
• The length of the CV should be 1-2 A4 pages.
• The recommended format is PDF.
• Avoid fonts such as Comic Sans – a simple Arial in size 10 is enough.
• Before sending your CV, name it accordingly. Instead of my CV version 6 corrected, write John Smith CV or John Smith – CV for a graphic designer position.
• It is worth using free tools like Canva to create an aesthetic and distinctive CV.
Thanks to these tips you can surely create a CV that will increase your chances of finding a new job.